Friday, May 27, 2016

Growing old together

I normally get dressed before my husband and he doesn't usually see me until he is also fully dressed. It is at that point that we realize we are dressed in similar colors.

Is this because we own too many of the same shades of clothing? Maybe. Maybe not. I'd like to think it is because he and I are in sync.

And there may be some evidence that supports my theory.

Most people know at least one couple that seems to grow more and more alike with age. (Of course, we've all seen the opposite as well, but go with me on this one). Their tastes become more similar and so do their dislikes. It turns out that this becomes true on a biological level as well. The longer a couple stays together, the more likely they will start to get in sync in terms of physical health. Liver functions, cholesterol, motor coordination - these are all things that tend to change with age. And if you've been with your partner long enough, they may be changing in a similar way.

On a very interesting side note of this study, they found that partner optimism also played a key role in partner's health: The more optimistic the person, the less likely their partner was to develop health issues during their time together.

So, honey, aren't you glad that I am always such an optimist at heart?

Do you feel like you and your partner are growing more alike? Tell me in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete