Monday, March 28, 2016

Living by your own technology rules

Think about all the rules you have for your child's use of technology. Do you have rules around when they can use it? Rules to prevent bullying behavior? Rules around oversharing information online? Rules about the rooms of the house it can go into?

How many of those rules are ones that also apply to you?

In a study from the University of Washington, children speak up around their household technology rules and the results are in on what they want: No hypocrisy. Moderate use. No oversharing.

It's sounds simple enough: Children want parents to follow their own rules. That means that parents should not be using their phones at the dinner tables either. Or they shouldn't be texting while driving. Or they shouldn't be oversharing information about their children on social media, especially without permission.

Social media wasn't around when I was a kid, so I don't have the context of how it would feel to have my Mom or Dad post something embarrassing about me online. But that is a very real scenario that a lot of children are tired of.

I know that it is hard to practice what we preach, but this is one of those cases where I can see the kid's point of view. Technology rules in the household should be applicable to everyone. (My Mom had to call people to give them embarrassing details - thanks, Mom!)

What is a technology rule that you have in your household that you find it hard to follow? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment