Monday, February 2, 2015

Looking for a few good women

I went to a college with a much higher ratio of women to men. This was by choice. All the schools that I considered had a higher percentage of women in attendance. Something about that made me feel safer, and since I was dating my eventual husband at the time, I was quite happy with the breakdown.

Many years later when I discovered we were having a son, I was especially ecstatic, since I worked in an office where all the new babies were girls. I was so happy to have a little guy on the way. At the time, I didn't know that statistically, there are more boys born than girls, but because women tend to live longer than men, there is generally thought to be a gender balance across the world.

But not right now.

Right now, men outnumber women on the planet by 60 million. Quartz has this great breakdown explaining how the numbers have shifted away from 50/50. Really fascinating are the locations where girls are missing (China and India) and where ladies can't get find a single man (Hong Kong).

Right now, my son's class has more boys than girls, and I'll be interested to see if that trend continues.

Is the distribution of boys and girls in your child's class even or skewed toward one gender? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment