Monday, October 20, 2014

Sexting as the new first base?

I have a friend with a name very close to my husband's. And I have to keep that in mind, because every time I pull up my husband's name in my phone's contact list, his name appears first. He's a good enough friend, so I've actually given him a fair warning that if he ever receives an inappropriate or confusing text from me to ignore it. (And preferably delete it.) Because when I send messages about being out of soap or a sappy "wish you were here" note, it was definitely meant for my husband.

I don't think I've slipped up too many times. And, happily, I've never sent that friend anything resembling a sext.

This is probably because I don't really send sext messages to my husband. But, according to the latest research, more and more adolescents are sending them.

Based on data from the anonymous survey results of 1,000 adolescents, the research indicates that sexting doesn't necessarily lead to risky sexual behavior later on in life. But, it is an opportunity to have more conversations around sex and promoting healthier behaviors. Basically, sexting is like the new first base, only it's more permanent and can be shared across a wider audience. Which makes it a hard place to start a conversation from.

Better advice would be to start having conversations around sex earlier. Even earlier than you think you need to. A little information goes a long way - as long as it is appropriately addressed for each age.

In the meantime, I need to update my contact list to either change my husband's info to something more unique or alter my friend's name to something that isn't anywhere close to my husband's name.

A girl can't be too careful these days..

Are you worried about your child engaging in sexting? Tell me about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment