Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Where did that skill come from?

Like a lot of parents, I often think about the nature/nurture influences on my son. In addition to his daddy's captivating eyes will he inherit a love of playing music, too? My little guy has already showed some proficiency at telling stories like his Mom, but will that skill continue as he grows older?

And what about these traits that don't seem to come from my husband or me? The sudden bursts of athleticism? Where did those come from?

Turns out, nobody knows for certain.

Researchers have studied the kinds of talent that span several generations for years to determine if creativity is really something that is handed down. This research often sparks the old debate: Is creativity linked to our genes and a hereditary trait or is it the result of the environment that we are exposed to?

It's intriguing to see researchers create tests to support their theories. The latest one in the link above deals around creative writing and finds that families tend to have similarly minded creative links - even among spouses. So, that would support the nurture theory more than the nature one.

But I like that it's not a clear cut science. It is fun to think that my son still has all this amazing potential locked away inside him and that at any moment he could surprise us with some hidden skill or secret knowledge.

What special talent do you have that is not in common with your family members? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment