Friday, June 27, 2014

Telling tales at home

I'm big on people having hobbies. Things that they enjoy outside of work and parenthood. They provide great examples of "parents are people too" to our children (or grandchildren). And hopefully these hobbies are activities which can be shared with little ones as they get older.

My husband is interested in lots of things and he pursues each of his interests when he can. I have more limited hobbies than he does that I really need to make more time for. (But that is a post for another day: Figuring out when I am supposed to do stuff.)

One of my hobbies is telling stories. That is something that I am able to do with my son now. He is at the right age for participation in imagination games, too, so that helps. When he is with me, I like to throw him into the middle of an adventure story. Suddenly, the car ride to school becomes a space alien odyssey and grocery store trips become hunts for pirate treasure (and cookies).

On my birthday, my brother's family gave me the Tell Tale Card Game. Each card has two images on it and you use them as prompts in telling a story. You can tell your own or you can build a story with other players.

And my son is amazing at it.

He loves playing this game with me. And I love hearing all the crazy ideas he comes up with: car crashes (but everyone is ok), trips into the city to get ice cream, a man stuck on an island with a monster who liked to be tickled. His stories make me laugh, and it has been a great way for us to share what I like to do.

What hobby are you looking forward to sharing? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment