Monday, February 10, 2014

Overindulging in movies

We are all sick right now. And when we are sick, we rest. My son knows that when he is sick, he gets to stay at home and watch movies. Movie watching keeps him still and calm so he can get the rest he needs to get better.

We have a list of movies that he is allowed to watch, and occasionally, I'll throw a new one into the mix, especially on sick days. But now, I am tempted to reanalyze the list. A recent study by UNC has found that 70% of the top 20 family films made between 2006 and 2010 contained scenes of unhealthy eating and weight-related bullying. The films showed unhealthy snacks, exaggerated portion size and calling overweight characters "lazy."

So, I said I was tempted to review our movie list, but I'm not going to do it. I would like to give my son the opportunity to realize that movies are not reality. Although we can talk about the bullying behavior as being "not nice," the overindulgence of food doesn't bother me as much. Even the study admits that there is no measurement for how those scenes affect children.

And, sometimes, I think we analyze things too much.

We're just going to focus on being healthy right now.

What's your favorite way to spend the day when you are at home sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment