Wednesday, November 6, 2013

As a woman, I'm not really qualified to write about this

I'll be upfront about this - I am not qualified to write about circumcision. And it's because I am a woman. But I want to talk about it anyway.

The Center for Disease Control reports that the choice to circumcise boys is on the decline in the U.S. The study doesn't point to an exact reason, but experts hypothesize that ethnic make-up, concern over care after the procedure and a growing movement by groups like Intact America are part of the decline.

That's all great to read, but soon-to-be parents of boys have to go through the very real process of making a very personal decision that will affect their son for his entire life. And, oddly, other people like to give you their opinion on circumcision and want to know what you've decided. That needs to stop.

When my husband and I learned we were going to have a son, we had the "to cut or not to cut" discussion. Although I had my opinion on the subject, ultimately, I let my husband take the lead on the conversation. Because, frankly, as a man he had more knowledge on the subject and could give me an outlook that I wouldn't have no matter how many articles I read on the topic.

So, we made our decision and haven't thought about it since (well, until today when I saw the study).

I'm not trying to influence anyone on the topic of circumcision one way or another. What I am doing is telling people that it is none of your business to ask what other parents decide for their son. And women, listen to your husband on this topic - he has the inside track and your son's best interests at heart.

6 comments:

  1. Wow..this is an interesting topic. When my first child came along that was the question that was asked to me. Sad to say..I blinked and nodded told the doctor I would decide at my next appointment. I then went to Mama's house and asked her, "What it circumcision?" LOL..we did grow up discussing such things..I didn't know..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing you didn't agree to it right away without knowing first! Thanks for sharing your story!

      Delete
  2. I have two boys myself and was uneducated on the topic, other than the fact that it was socially common. I do not believe my boys will grow up to be angry with the decision we made; however, realizing that it wasn't medically necessary, it wasn't my husband and mine's decision to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After having 3 boys, this topic is not new to me. Lol, once you find out you're having a boy, that becomes *the* question.

    I agree that your decisions about your sons body are no one's business but your own. However, I feel that it is the responsibility of BOTH parents to do the research and make the decision. While a man's input is valuable, most have only encountered one end of the spectrum.

    That being said, I've always felt that it wasn't my decision OR my husbands decision to make. Luckily, my husband agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have faced this, having had two sons. I did a lot of research around the truths and the myths of circumcision and talked to my husband about it. Given that he's the one with "hands on experience", I let him make the final decision. Regardless of the choice you make, it's the right one for your family.

    P.S.
    Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that all of you moms are coming forward with your stories - it sounds like there is an education gap. Thinking back to all those pregnancy classes I took, I don't recall if circumcision was ever mentioned. Thank you all for sharing!

    ReplyDelete