Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Distracted walkers: I didn't realize there would be a part 2

A few weeks ago I wrote about distracted walkers, citing a recent study reporting an increase in injuries due to walking while being on a smartphone or other device. You can read it here. Go ahead, I'll wait.

So, when I came across this post in The Guardian, I had to do a follow up.

It is a call to action for people to stop navigating around distracted walkers - not to purposefully bump into them, mind you, but to get close enough to them so that they feel your presence and eventually will be conditioned to pay more attention to their surroundings.

In addition to this being kind of a fun experiment (see how close you need to get to people before they actually look up from their devices), it may actually save some lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment