Monday, November 18, 2019

Letting the wind blow through you

I've always loved the wind. 

On Friday night, my Mom and I were walking back to her car after an event and the wind was really blowing. Temperatures were low already, and the wind was biting cold and whipping us about.

I didn't really mind it at all.

Sure, in the moment, it was cold, but after a few seconds I got used to it, and when it stopped, I instantly felt warmer and somehow better. I have felt this way many times before - refreshed by the wind - and it turns out that the Dutch consider spending time in the wind as a cure for stress

We've long known that spending time in nature can help lessen the effects of stress, but this is the first time I've heard of a stress cure involving the wind: Uitwaaien. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to pronounce that word yet, but I have thought through many reasons why this makes complete sense to me.

For example, when people feel shame or guilty about something, I have heard the advice to take a shower. And that act is often interpreted by the brain is washing away our bad feelings. So, I can take the leap of faith to believe that the wind is blowing the stress off me.

It couldn't hurt to try it, right? At the very least, you'll get fresh air and maybe your brain will put the oxygen to good use.

What interesting cures do you have for relieving stress? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment