Monday, October 7, 2019

When we overeat together

I am a big fan of the family dinner. I think of it as a sort of a family reward - at the end of a long day of work and school and being apart, we can come together and eat something yummy (I try my best) and catch up with one another. Sure, we are sometimes exhausted or not in the best of moods, but most of the time, family dinners are my favorite part of the day.

The connection between food and togetherness runs deep in human history. We ate communal food in our tribes long before the invention of Thanksgiving. But it is surprising to learn that eating in a communal way makes us consume more food than when we eat alone. Interestingly, this over-consumption only happens around people we know.

We've all eaten alone - whether in a restaurant, at our desks at work or over the kitchen sink - and it feels very utilitarian. "Here is the food that I am going to consume so I don't pass out from hunger" kind of eating. Less enjoyment, for certain. Whereas meals with family and friends has more conversation and eating off each other's plates and "let's split a dessert" type of enjoyment. 

So, we eat more when we are together. That is something to pay attention to while I am enjoying our family dinners - to ensure that we aren't over-indulging while we enjoy each other's company.

Do you ever prefer to eat alone? Tell me about it in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment