Friday, October 4, 2019

More meaningful conversations at dinner

Somewhere in my house there is one of those decks of conversation topics that the entire family can answer. And that is a good thing, because I need a little help.

Mornings are not a good time for quality conversations in our household. Most of the family doesn't want to talk because they are too tired. So our conversations tend to revolve around the necessary details of getting ready for the day.

We usually have better luck with conversations at the dinner table, but we have fallen into a bit of a rut. We don't have much to share about our days sometimes (and that is fine - not every day can be exciting), but we don't take that time to talk about other topics that would be of interest to the entire family.

That is where the conversation topic cards will hopefully help. Because I am usually too tired to think of topics in the moment.

I know that conversations with my child matter. They mattered when he was first learning to speak and needed to be exposed to lots of words, and they matter now as he still needs to be exposed to new concepts and ideas. I don't want to let him down because Mommy has fallen into a conversational rut.

So, I guess I'll spend some time looking for those cards. And maybe (hopefully) we will have some more interesting things to talk about as we connect at the end of the day.

Are there any conversation topics you like to cover at dinnertime? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment