Monday, August 5, 2019

More talk about sex

My son and I are on the porch, eating breakfast and talking about puberty. You know, typical morning conversation topics.

I am fine with him talking about whatever subject he wants in the morning. And that includes sex.

I've chatted with my son about sex multiple times over the last few years. We have talked about it at dinner. We've talked about it on the way to school. We've talked about it on the porch. And that is a good thing: Parents who talk to their children about sex generally promote safer sexual behavior.

But that is not really the reason why I talk to my son about these topics. I talk to him about these things because I want him to have accurate information in his brain. I want him to know that he can ask me questions. And, I want him to understand sexual health from both a man and a woman's viewpoint.

Will this all work in the long run? I have hope that the studies are all correct, but moreover, I have the hope that my gut is correct. I feel like I am arming my son with information on a variety of topics. And that is always (in my eyes) a good idea.

Are you comfortable talking to your child about sex? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment