Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Parents not sleeping in

Several of my friends have been talking about a recent study that clocked a parental sleep deprivation of six years after having a baby. They talked about how the study makes so much sense because they feel like they are never rested.

Yes, we were all told by well-meaning friends and family members that we would not sleep after the baby arrived - and we were as prepared for that as we could be. But this is the first time lots of people are talking about being sleep deprived until your child is in first grade.

Like most studies, this one focuses on averages. So Moms of newborns average 62 minutes of less sleep compared to pre-baby days. Moms of first graders averaged 20 minutes less sleep compared to pre-baby days. I don't doubt those numbers, but I do wonder what the average times are for years 1-5. Does the sleep deficit ramp down slowly?

When my friends were talking about these numbers, I did a little bit of gentle challenging: Didn't you just tell me an hour ago that you started getting up earlier to have some time to yourself in the morning? Or exercise? Or meditate? So the real question becomes: Are these parents not sleeping at night because of a direct interaction with their little one or because they want some time alone?

I guess that either way parents need a nap.

Do you sacrifice your sleep to get things done for yourself in the morning? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment