Monday, December 24, 2018

I want to believe

Last year, when my son was seven, he told me that he had figured out that the Santa thing wasn't real. He gave me some story that he and his friends at school had worked out - Santa couldn't be real, because all the parents leave the house on Christmas Eve after children go to bed to go buy presents.

I let him know that I didn't leave the house on the night of Christmas Eve - not for any reason. And that statement (which is true) bought me another year of his belief. At least I think it did.

It is possible that my son is keeping up the belief for my sake. It is possible that he still believes. Either way - these days are numbered as most children stop believing in Santa by age 8. Some snoop around the house until they find gifts, others work out the present delivering math in the span of one night and some children get the truth spoiled by their friends or older siblings.

I will be sad when my son lets go of his belief in Santa, however, I know that we will still be able to have a magical holiday. For example, to this day, my Mom still addresses several packages to her adult children as being "from Santa."

I think it is a good thing to keep believing.

What age were you when you started questioning Santa? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment