Monday, November 12, 2018

Getting into the holiday spirit a little early

Halloween is my jam.

We decorate the house the first weekend in October; I take my son costume hunting early and I can't wait to dress up and pass out candy to all the kiddos in the neighborhood. We have Halloween fun all October long.

Then the first weekend in November, I put away all the holiday decorations and get very stubborn about celebrating Thanksgiving before I put up the Christmas decorations. I even get a little angry at all the stores that have Christmas stuff out (especially the ones that have materials out before Halloween).

I refuse to decorate for Christmas until Thanksgiving is over.

But I don't know why I get so stubborn about it. It's not like I have Thanksgiving decorations that I need to put up for a few weeks. And Thanksgiving at our house isn't even that big of a deal. And - according to a new study - decorating for Christmas earlier may make you happier.

The idea is based on people who truly enjoy the holidays and the decorations and making the most out of the season...if they decorate earlier it makes the feelings last longer.

I do wonder if this will work for my family. Because, while I enjoy Christmas, it is not really as big a deal to me as Halloween is. So, if we decorate earlier, will we experience more Christmas joy? Or is this just a good reason to get holiday decorations up before it gets truly cold in our neighborhood?

When do you traditionally like to decorate for Christmas? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment