Monday, September 3, 2018

Looking for a few good grand kids

My husband and I had an in-depth conversation at lunch last week about how our generation would need to find new ways to combat loneliness by the time we were our parents' age. Since our generation (and the ones after us) tend to connect online socially, we would need to re-examine how we make in-person connections (which all people need).

We came to the conclusion that since more and more services are now online, our future selves would need incredibly active community centers where people could chat in person. By the time we retire, there might not be brick-and-mortar banks or post offices where we could talk to people in line - we would need a place for that.

Even though people are trying to solve for loneliness with today's older generations now, I was a little startled to see a new app that let seniors in Florida order up a college student for company. Well, to be fair, it's not just company; it could be for help with chores as well, but the app is mostly to help with loneliness.

The article on that link makes sense - for now - because we live in a world where you can get everything online, so you might as well order yourself a grand kid. But I wonder how sustainable it is. There has to be that slight let down after the visit is over for both parties involved and the reminder that your own family isn't available or you would have called them in the first place.

I asked my son if he would visit me when he got older and left the house. He didn't hesitate when he told me he would. That is what I expected. What I didn't expect was his throwing in the extra caveat - that I shouldn't move too far away from him. He said that he didn't want to have to drive super far just to come over for dinner.

Duly noted.

How do you think families will stay connected in 20 years? Tell me your predictions in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment