Friday, August 31, 2018

How did you feel about gym class?

I like to tell my son about the time my fifth grade class was all set to have our gym class in the indoor pool at our school, only to arrive and see that it was filled with nuns doing their laps. They were confused on the times that the pool was reserved for student use - or they just didn't care - but all the same, the memory still stays with me. So does the memory of the time we had to take a written test on how to play basketball - even though we had not been taught the rules of the game. It was just something our gym teacher thought we would all know.

But most of the time, gym involved kickball, which is not a sport I enjoyed.

What I am saying is that I had a lot of mixed feelings about gym. And that is good for me to know, as there is a new theory that our childhood feelings about gym classes can have a direct correlation to our feelings about exercise in our adulthood.

Yeah, I can see how that theory makes a lot of sense.

Even if it is not 100 percent accurate for everyone, it is something for me to keep in mind as I listen to my son talk about his school day. I think that his school generally does a great job of keeping the children active and engaged in a lot of different activities (hula hoop tag comes to mind). Overall, I hope that they are trying to remind children that movement is fun.

I can tell you that even all these years later thinking back to that pool day - those nuns did look like they were having fun.

Did you enjoy your gym class when you were younger? Reminisce in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment