Friday, August 24, 2018

Keeping them reading

I was at the doctor's office with my son and the nurse came in to take my his vitals. She asked me some follow-up questions and mentioned that the doctor would be right in. Just before she left she said "Good job, Mom." She then pointed to my son, who was quietly sitting on the bench, reading.

I smiled and said that my son loved to read and that it was important in our family. She told me that it made her so happy to see it and I should keep up the good work.

I know this conversation made my son happy to eavesdrop on; he was grinning from ear-to-ear. He thinks of himself as a naturally good reader. He can think that all he wants. The truth is: It takes a lot of work from parents to encourage reading from an early age.

My husband and I definitely put that work in when our son was still little, and we continue to encourage it (although I am not sure my son realizes this). For parents of little ones, this link does a good job of providing concrete examples of ways we can read to our children better and get them on a path to being readers for life.

What are your tips to help develop your child's love of reading? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment