Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Giving teens time with their doctors

My son really likes visiting his primary doctor. I think this is mostly because he is not due for vaccinations any time soon, and we get his annual flu shot somewhere else. Generally, the visits with his primary care doctor are fun - he learns how much he is growing, he asks questions and he has the doctor's complete attention during the exam.

For the last few years, I have appreciated how his doctor has addressed bigger issues with him in every visit: Like privacy. She does a good job reminding him that bodies are private and that it is OK to talk to her about anything he has questions about.

In our household, my son asks me a lot of questions about anatomy and health and whatever else is on his mind. I like that he feels safe enough to ask me all these questions, and I hope that continues as he becomes a teenager.

I also hope that when he has questions, he still feels safe talking with his doctor. But to ensure that this is the case, it means that he will need to start having alone time with her. The article on that link recommends starting giving your child some time alone with their doctor at the age of 10 or 11.

The hope, of course, is that your child continues to ask you questions about their health and growing body. But it never hurts to have some additional safe adults to talk to as well.

Does your child like their primary care doctor? Share in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment