Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Adding to my husband's lifespan

My wonderful husband and I have been together for more than 20 years. (Not married for that long, but together.) When I tell people that number they look at me in shock and then ask if we were high school sweethearts. I am hopeful that their initial shock is because I look too young to have been with someone for 20 years and not shock for some other reason.

I consider myself to be lucky: I had many years with my husband before we were married. We talked a lot about life and dreams and experienced joys and hardships together long before our son came around and our conversations revolved around the number of diapers in the house or if anyone was alert enough to remember where I put the grocery list.

My wonderful husband is a great partner in life and I don't like to think about my life without him. I haven't really ever thought what he would do without me, but after reading this article about how being a single Dad can shorten your lifespan, I have collected several thoughts for my husband here:
  • You are not allowed to die young, because you have to take care of our son.
  • Ask our Moms who live close by for help with stuff so that you don't burn out on being a Dad.
  • Find another wife as soon as possible. There are probably some divorced women at the school our son goes to.
  • Play up your handy man skills; women like men who are useful.
  • But be somewhat picky, our son needs a good female role model who understands that she will never replace his Mom.

So, I guess the lesson here is that my husband is also lucky to have me, because I am probably adding to his lifespan as I type this...even in little ways that neither of us realize.

What makes your family lucky? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment