Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The behavior that rears its head

I am in the car with my son outside of my workplace. It is my day off, but we are here because he wants to visit my team.

I can't blame him. The people I work with are like family and they absolutely adore my son. We are talking about thats-my-cutie-and-he-can-do-no-wrong-let-me-make-him-some-cookies level of adoration for him. This is why we are visiting them on my day off, per his request.

But before we leave the car, we review acceptable behaviors for the office: Quiet voice, polite words, don't interrupt. And then we go in.

And, from the time we arrived, until the time we left...I didn't really recognize my son. He was a little prince charming, filled with compliments for all the women I work with, gentlemanly behaviors (holding out chairs) and participating in the group conversation by telling semi-relevant stories that were adorable (and not about Pokemon or Minecraft). And of course, he got what he wanted, which was five ladies all making googly eyes and telling him how perfect he is.

So, on the one hand, I am proud that he takes all those lessons about being respectful and a gentleman to heart when we are out in public. It is good to know that he can be a person in the world. But I am also reminded that this is the same person who had a 10 minute argument (complete with stomping feet and yelling) with me earlier in the day about a cardboard box.

Before I had my son, I read an article telling me that a parent should want to ensure that your child's behavior in public was better than it was at home. The point of this being that at-home behaviors can run a wide range of emotions, because home is where children should be allowed to feel safe and vulnerable.

So...congratulations, parents. Your reward for creating a safe space is that you get to see every crazy emotion your child has. And that for several days after a work visit, you get to hear what a perfect child you have.

On second thought, it's worth it.

What behaviors in public do your children display that surprise you? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment