Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The potential of new neighbors

A few weeks ago my husband told me that the house next door to us had been sold. I was elated.

We moved to our home more than a year ago, and there was nothing but an empty lot next door to us. And another empty lot next to that one. Then, over the summer, the builder decided to develop spec houses on those lots. The house two down from us sold fairly quickly but the one next door remained open.

I often think about what it would be like to have neighbors again. My husband and I would surreptitiously watch prospective buyers as they checked out the house next door - we knew what we were looking for - people who looked normal. People our age with at least one child and no dogs would be a bonus. (But we'd settled for normal.)

I don't know who bought the lot yet or when they will be moving in, but I understand that the people in our neighborhoods become important in adulthood. As this article explains, adult friendships are difficult to keep up without a communal space to do so. This is why we have so many friends at school and work but lose friendships when we have permanent homes away from the "core" groups we develop in our younger days.

So this turns out to be the time in our lives when we hope that we have good neighbors, or at least normal neighbors. And hopefully, they will think that we are worth knowing, too.

How well do you know your neighbors? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment