Friday, December 1, 2017

The December requests have started

I have this thing where I like to celebrate my holidays in order. I am one of those people who roll their eyes when they see holiday decorations making an appearance at Halloween and will not start decorating for Christmas until after Thanksgiving is over.
Current wish list: Blank

I recognize this is annoying to the people in my life who have hopes to get Christmas wish lists out of me early and get their shopping done. I am sorry, but I am stubborn: I don't start putting together lists until after Thanksgiving.

And this is how I am in the state where I am today: With multiple texts on my phone asking me for Christmas ideas for my family and me not prepared to handle them.

I am not the only person with issues coming up with ideas. I gave my son a catalogue of tech-based toys to flip through in the carpool line and asked him to circle what he was interested in. He circled two things. Two.

I can hear my Mother's voice in my head right now pointing out that I was not a materialistic child and that this is what it felt like to be her. Sorry, Mom!

So, I flip through gift guides on my son's behalf, trying to determine what he thinks would be fun. I think a lot of times I get frustrated because - like so many parents - I have a variety of emotions around tech toys and my son's interaction with them. Are they beneficial? Harmful? Useful? Worthy of his attention? I have no idea.

My only other thought around my predicament is that I am pretty sure this is how I ended up with all those dolls for Christmas when I was little.

Do your children know what they want for Christmas this year? Share their wants in the comments (as I may need to steal them for my son).

No comments:

Post a Comment