Monday, July 10, 2017

Music lessons for the digital age

When I was in fifth grade, I left my lunch early every Wednesday to take a 40-minute piano lesson with Sister Ruth. She was a retired nun and there was an extra cell in the convent attached to our school that had a lot of windows and an upright piano. She was very kind, but I found the process of learning the piano to be painfully slow.

It was less than a year before I quit.

My wonderful husband has played musical instruments for most of his life and has always had an appreciation for music. I loved seeing our son try to play Daddy's guitar, so last year we got him a child-sized acoustic guitar for his birthday. We figured we would get him lessons later on, if he showed an interest.

And, I think my son is interested in learning how to play the guitar, but I have a fear that he will get turned off like I did if the pace of lessons or progress is just too slow. After all, he lives in a world where he has media-on-demand and dozens of other distractions. What is going to keep his focus on learning the correct finger positioning?

Then I found that there are a series of online tutorials that Fender produces specifically to help teach guitar to a digitally distracted crowd. They are a paid subscription, but they provide a more in-depth tutorial than what you might get with free YouTube videos of someone playing in their basement.

I know that Fender has their own agenda (they do sell guitars and gear, after all), but maybe this would be a good way to capture my son's interest. Couldn't hurt, right?

Does your child play an instrument? Is it something they have trouble keeping up with? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment