Monday, June 26, 2017

Thinking about drawing circles

Drawing has never been my strong suit. I like to color but have never been skilled at drawing something (even if I get to color it in later). I realize that like any hobby, to enjoy it I would need to practice it. Drawing has never made my list of habits that I want to pick up.

Which explains why I never made an A in art class...but now I wonder what it was that all those art teachers were grading me on. I digress.

I don't want my son to lose out on the opportunity to learn drawing, so I ended up getting some drawing books. They are really good for people like me who can draw basic shapes, but don't know how to fit them together to make the drawing look like a bird or a knight or a cat. It is very simple, but it is a start.

And my son really loves them. We went through the books and now we know how to draw dragons and bugs and sea creatures. Full disclosure: His drawings often look better than mine. I started to wonder about why his drawings were so good - is it because he has learned to make letters much more recently than I have so he is more careful with his strokes? Or does he have a natural talent?

In my search for answers, I stumbled across this article explaining how the way we draw circles tells people where we came from. So, clearly this drawing rabbit hole is deep, and I am not sure I want to fall into it.

So, for now, I will stick with the basic drawing books and enjoy the hummingbirds my son loves to draw on the inside of cards and let him take the lead with our art. If/when he is ready to move beyond basic shapes, I'll support him. (Even if I may need to stick with the basic shapes.)

Do your children enjoy drawing? How do you help support them? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment