Friday, April 21, 2017

Where to save money on your vacation

I had an amazing time with my family on vacation last week: We had periods of adventurous fun and some downtime to just read and relax. It was a mix of everything to appeal to everyone. Some of our time was spent on paid excursions, and I didn't wonder at any point if they were worth the money: They were all super fun and I loved doing them.

But, then I got home and read this study in which scientists attached brain wave monitors to a family on vacation and found that they had just as much fun doing the free activities (walking in a park or exploring a market) as the ones they paid for.

I have so many questions.

First of all, they just covered one family. And we all know that some families are more easily entertained than others. I am not sure that all families would be entertained by the same things.

Also: Would you sign up to go on vacation with a brain wave monitor on your head? I am not sure I would.

I have reached a baseline with most of the vacations that I take these days: I expect to have some fun and some relaxation. And that's it. I don't try to build them up or look forward too much or dissect them afterward, as I find that if the baseline expectations I have are met, then everything on top of that brings me extra joy.

Do you prefer adventure-based or low-key vacations? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment