Friday, March 24, 2017

They may drive you crazy, but you might live longer

I adore my son. I think he is brilliant, funny, quirky, sweet and kind. I love the way he wants to read on the couch next to me when he sees me reading, and the way he throws his whole body around mine in a big hug when I come home from work. He amazes me with how quickly he learns new concepts and the way he digs deep into subjects that fascinate him.

And, of course, there are times when he drives me crazy.

I do my best to take those moments with a grain of salt. I know that I must have driven my parents crazy, too (sorry, Mom). But, to their credit, they don't talk about those times. Instead, they tell me how wonderful I was. 

And that is the type of parent I want to be: One who focuses on the good times.

Hopefully, all those positive thoughts will pay off in the future: I want my son to hang out with us after he reaches adulthood, because having frequent interactions with family may help add years to my life. The emotional support and contact of having your children nearby has a profound impact on you as you get older, although researchers are only now cracking the surface of what all those wonderful benefits are.

I must be doing something right so far as he has announced plans to buy the lot next door to us and build his home there. That works for me!

How far away from your parents do you live? Give me the rough estimate in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment