Friday, February 3, 2017

Reading with your Dad

My son and I are on the couch together. I am on one end reading a book about American mahjong. He is sitting on the other end reading a Goosebumps book. (As an aside: I am completely proud that my son reads the Goosebumps books and doesn't seem scared by them. I was incredibly scared of those kinds of books when I was little. Please don't tell him that.)

Occasionally, he or I will reach out and squeeze the other person's hand or he will change his position so that he is mostly in my lap. And this has got to be one of my most favorite things on earth.

Here's the thing: We are a family of readers. And, although my husband read countless stories to my son when he was little, I was the one who ended up being his full-time reading buddy. If my son wants someone to snuggle up and read with him, he seeks me out.

The important thing is that our son got to experience both of his parents reading to him. Because having Dad read to children improves parenting skills in other areas.

So, we read together. And then we talk about the things we are reading. And then we read some more. Life is good.

Who usually reads to your child in your family? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment