Monday, February 20, 2017

Raising the allowance

I like to listen to my son talk about his plans for the future. They include him working as an engineer in NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab, yet somehow living next door to me so he can help me cook sometimes. These plans also include him being a marine biologist on the weekends.

When he tells me all about his future, we talk about the type of salary he would be making and how that money would go to pay for all that traveling he is going to do as the JPL is nowhere near our home state.

"You mean you are not going to give me an allowance anymore?" he asks.

And it is a good question, because a lot of parents are still giving their children allowances, even after they have graduated from college. Of course, it isn't really called an allowance at that point, but more like rent help.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with getting a parent's help or that I never received rent help before: My Mother was kind enough to pay my first month's rent when I got my first job (thanks, Mom!). However, I think it is a shame that young people who are trying to break into fields where their passions lie (especially the artistic ones) make such little money that they have to rely on their parents until they are further along in their careers.

It must be hard to feel like a full-fledged adult when you still need some financial support from Mom and Dad.

Do you give your children an allowance? How much per child? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment