Friday, December 30, 2016

When you didn't go home for the holidays

The holidays are a big deal in our household. Although Christmas is not my favorite holiday (it's Halloween, in case you are wondering), I really enjoy giving the "perfect" presents, and the food and the extra time spent together. I like the decorations and find joy in the idea that we are celebrating each other and another year of being together.

But, I do recognize that not everyone enjoys going home for the holidays. There is so much emphasis on family togetherness and making amends before the new year, that it is easy to forget that sometimes there are good reasons for family estrangements. And, sometimes I forget that not all families enjoy spending time together.

So, that is something for me to keep in mind as I catch up with friends in the New Year - to not automatically ask if they spent it with their families. Instead, I will focus on asking them if they rested and had fun and are ready to dive into the new year.

What was the best part of your holiday this year? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment