Monday, December 5, 2016

The annual gift buying extravaganza

My son struggled with his Christmas wish list to Santa this year. My husband had a theory that this was because our son has too much stuff and didn't know what to ask for. While I do not disagree with the viewpoint that our son has too much stuff, I think there was another reason that he struggled with the list:

We don't watch live television, so we don't see any commercials.

When my husband and I were children, we watched lots of TV and were inundated with toy commercials and stuff that we wanted to collect. Filling out wish lists at Christmastime was easy. Now, I have to take my son through a toy store for him to gather ideas.

I'm not really complaining; it's just...different.

But maybe we should look for another tradition in our family for next year's Christmas. We get so many material goods from our relatives, so perhaps we should give the gift of experiences instead. There have been some recent studies showing that time together creates more happiness than material goods.

Something to keep in mind, for sure.

What's at the top of your wish list this holiday season? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment