Monday, December 26, 2016

Books lead to snuggling

We are a family of readers. And, although my son has reached an age in which he usually wants to read by himself at night, he does sometimes ask that I read to him. And I am always happy to oblige.

I love reading to my son - the way we curl up in his bed and look at the book together and even the way I will veer away from the traditional story just to see if he is paying attention. (He is always paying attention.)

In all that time that we spent reading together, I never really thought about the position we read in affecting our relationship. When he was really little, he would plop down into my lap with my arms around him and we would look at the book together. He is much bigger now, but he still half sits in my lap when we sit and read together. And all of that sitting together is leading us to be more affectionate.

There is an article that explains all this, but for me, it was all about the pictures toward the bottom of the article: You can see the difference of reading on a tablet (single-user experience) versus reading from a book (multi-player experience). And how the book leads to the snuggling, which leads to the warm and happy feelings for everyone.

So, yeah...the idea of curling up with a good book just got a whole new meaning for me.

Do you still read to your child at night? What do you read together? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment