Friday, November 11, 2016

What do you mean "lockdown"?

My son came home from school talking about how they had a lockdown drill. I didn't know what that was. He explained the procedure they followed to lock themselves in a classroom and to stay out of sight "in case a burglar or bad person" came into the school.

I am completely happy that the school practices this. And, I am completely terrified. I am used to things like fire safety drills being practiced, but this is different. Now I know how my Mom must have felt the first time I came home from school discussing a bomb threat. (Side note: Sorry, Mom!)

The reality is that we have to hope for sunshine and prepare for rain - even at school, even when it is scary to think about it.

As my son gets older, I am realizing more and more how much different his school reality is from what I experienced (and not just because of the lack of nuns). His generation - although still early days - is going to be marked by the way they handle so many changes. And I am delighted to be a part of that and watch how he develops.

But, I am still a little bit terrified.

What is one big difference between your child's life now and your life when you were little? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment