Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Using your true inside voice

My son is a talker. But, as we all know, there is a time to talk and a time for quiet. My husband and I are trying to teach him ways to identify when he should be quiet. One of those ways is by telling him that the conversation he is currently having is one that should only take place in his head.

Don't get me wrong: I enjoy hearing the things that my son has to say most of the time, but sometimes his thoughts are not meant for others to hear.

All of that got me thinking about the constant running conversation I have in my head and why I need it. Then, I stumbled across this article discussing the different forms of inner dialogue we keep with ourselves.

The article reminded me that it is normal to hear my son talk to himself when he is playing, because he is working through his plans, and that it is fine for him to talk to himself in high-stress situations, the way that many adults do. But, it is those instances where he is just talking to get attention at school and at home that I need to help redirect him.

Do you feel that your child talks too much? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment