Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Lay me back to sleep

I am a back sleeper. I try not to be, because I am more likely to snore when I sleep on my back (sorry, honey!). So, I try to sleep on my side, but I know that at some point during the night, I will roll over to my back.

My husband and son are also back sleepers. Actually, in the case of my son, it is sometimes hard to tell, because of the 20+ stuffed animals, blankets and pillows he insists on surrounding himself with every night.

When our son was a baby, we followed our doctor's advice and made sure there was nothing in the crib with him and always put him on his back to sleep. It surprises me that more parents are not following those directions - they are either placing the baby tummy-side down or including stuffed animals in the crib. It's hard to tell if the problem is new parents following well-intentioned old-school advice, or if there needs to be another Back to Sleep movement.

I remember when my son learned how to roll himself over. Every night after that he figured out how to roll onto his tummy once in the crib. I would put him on his back; he would flip himself over. I would check on him in the middle of the night and flip him onto his back, and by the morning he would be on his tummy again. We're both stubborn.

What sleeping position do you prefer - side, back or stomach? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment