Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Play that funky music, momma

I like upbeat music. I listen to it when I run, when I am cooking and when I am cleaning. It puts me in a happy mood, which is always a good thing.

My wonderful husband used to be in a band, and his musical tastes tend to run heavier. I had a friend once refer to his music choices as "angry guy punk." (In fairness, my husband doesn't play this music very often in our son's hearing, as the lyrics are sometimes questionable.)

I have noticed that our son leans toward liking the same music that I like. He even refers to it as "happy music" and often asks me to add whatever song I am featuring to his playlist on my iPod.

Our taste in music is not innate, as researchers are currently learning. It is completely shaped by our experiences and exposure. The exposure is something that I have to keep in mind for my son.

So, I'll play my music, but I've been expanding the decades to include songs from every era. He can now come downstairs all sleepy-eyed in the morning to hear "Chain of Fools" by Arethra Franklin (which lyrically is not very happy, but the musicality of the song is fantastic) and start dancing with me in the kitchen.

And you know how much I love to dance in the kitchen.

So, now I am on the lookout for great music from every age. As long as it keeps us happy.

What music preferences have your children developed? Are they similar to yours? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment