Monday, July 4, 2016

Dear Mom, send more underwear

When I was a little girl, I went to Girl Scout camp. I loved it all. I loved the time we spent in the pool every day, that we went canoeing, that we sang songs around the bonfire and sleeping in the tents in the woods.

I even loved the slightly mandatory "write your parents a postcard time" that we had on the second day of camp so we could tell our parents that we were OK, that we did indeed miss them and the list of items that we had forgotten to pack.

My happy camp memories, however, may eventually pale in comparison with the camp that I am sending my son to over the summer. His camp includes activities like swimming and hiking, as well as pizza and ice cream party Fridays, huge inflatable water slides and science experiments.

I am jealous of his camp.

I'm not the only one, as more and more adults are booking themselves into adult camp. Some do it for the nostalgia, others do it because they've never experienced camp as a child, and lots of adults do it to relieve stress.

After reading the article on the link, I am reminded that many adults seem to need help just letting go of their phones. It's almost like they need permission to unplug and enjoy the real world. 

Of course, I am also reminded of all the things that I didn't like about camp: The middle-of-the-night walk to the latrines, the bugs, the boredom when it rained. The truth is that I don't want to go back to camp. But I could book myself a room in a hotel and leave my phone off when I really need to get away from it all.

Would you ever attend an adult camp? Tell me why in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment