Monday, May 2, 2016

The way we view failure

My son walked in while I was getting ready for work and said, "Mommy, I have some questions about ancient Egypt that I would like to talk about."

Of course he does.

I love my son's curiosity, so I listened to his questions, answered the ones that I knew and then found him a children's video on Egypt to answer the ones I didn't know. He was happy to learn more about Egypt; I was happy that he wants to learn more.

I try to encourage my son's learning wherever I can, so I was interested to hear that one of the ways that I can keep him motivated to learn more is with the way I approach failure. Children adopt either a fixed or growth mindset around intelligence early on: Either they believe their intelligence cannot change (fixed) and may give up on learning concepts that are too difficult or they believe that they have an unlimited ability to learn (growth). So, when it comes to failure, parents should try to focus on the failure as a learning opportunity rather as a reflection of their child's abilities.

Like most things in life, this is easier said than done, but it is definitely something I will keep in mind to ensure that my son keeps asking more questions.

What do you still enjoy learning about? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment