Monday, May 23, 2016

It's time for some Daddy play

My husband is stretched out on the bed while I put away some clothes. What happens next is inevitable: My son comes into the bedroom and climbs on top of his Daddy. For the next half-hour, they play some game that I don't understand, but they both know the rules. It involves keeping each other down on the bed and tickling and laughter and it makes no sense to me.

It is Father and Son play, and it is super important.

When my son wants to play with me, it involves a board game or something outside: There are stated rules or I have to come up with complicated villainous plots for him to overcome. I have never been sitting on the couch and had my son climb on top of me just to block my vision of the television. If he climbs into my lap, he wants to snuggle.

Parents figure out pretty quickly that our children develop different ways to play with us. It is amazing for me to watch my son want the rough and tumble play of his Dad more often. And I like being reminded how important it is to his emotional well being. It's not a type of play that I would be good at, so I am glad that my wonderful husband has got that subject covered.

I'll be over here ready for a good snuggle when the guys are done.

What's your favorite way to play with your children? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment