Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Putting your trust in your nose

Just like my mother, I have a sensitive nose (thanks, Mom!) I can smell all the smells - the good, the bad and the ugly. Because of this, I tend to avoid people who wear too-strong perfume or aftershave, and my very sweet husband seeks out my opinion before changing personal hygiene products to ensure they won't bother me (thanks, Love!).

So here's the thing I've never tested with my sensitive nose: Whether or not I think my enemies stink. This might be because I don't have a list of enemies or even a list of people I dislike enough to sidle up next to and get a whiff of.

But researchers claim that there may be something to the old thought that we think our enemies stink. In a small study, they found that people perceived stinkier smells coming off clothing belong to their enemies than the clothing of close family and friends.

Does this mean we should trust our noses in life? Maybe it is as simple as that. Or maybe someone just needs to take a shower.

Do you have a sensitive nose? Tell me all the smells that bother you the most in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment