Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Advice from your parents

When I left the family nest to get settled into my first job, my Mom gave me some advice. She told me some things about my paycheck and finances, she gave me a few words of wisdom when dealing with my coworkers and when I got frustrated with that job, she told me to stick with it until I found something new.

But since that time, I haven't heard much in the way of work advice from her. This may be because I haven't gone into too much detail about my career when we talk or it could be because like most parents she sees me as the adult she raised and keeps any advice to herself.

And yet, many adults wish their parents would weigh in with some advice. At least, that is the finding from a study LinkedIn commissioned for its Bring Your Parent to Work Day initiative from last year. Almost 60% of adults think that Mom or Dad has some career wisdom to share with them - even when they know that their parents do not fully understand what they do.

I welcome all advice from my Mom, but I wonder about the results of this study. It is one thing to say that you would wish your parents would give you career advice, but it is another thing to have a parent trying to give you advice in your adulthood. Would all those people who said "advice please!" in the study welcome it or come to resent their parents' stepping into their adult lives? Most people do not like having their decisions questioned - even when it is Mom and Dad doing the questioning.

(Hi, Mom. Don't worry about me: My work is going really well!)

Who do you take work advice from? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment