Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Students say that family comes first

I said a lot of dumb things when I was in my 20s. As I am now older and (presumably) wiser, I take comfort in the fact that everyone says dumb things in their 20s. In your 20s you suffer from an optimistic idealistic attitude about...well, everything.

As I have gotten older, I have gotten wiser. Which is why, when I read this study indicating that MBA students say that they believe that they will choose family over career in their lives, I take it with a grain of salt.

First of all, I wouldn't think that there would be many people who would honestly say that they would choose work over family. Of course we all want a work/life balance, but there are so many mitigating factors in creating that balance that it is very hard to maintain.

The one good takeaway from that study is that it is good to hear that work/life balance is an issue with both sexes. (It would be better if this were no longer an issue at all, of course, but the fact that both men and women now think about it does represent a significant change within the work arena.)

I just wish I had advice for those people who already list work/life balance as a concern before they even enter the workforce. The truth is that there is no magic formula, no secret trick and no perfect company. There is just the personal choice - every day - to make it a priority and to keep what is important to you at the forefront of your mind.

How do you keep your family at the forefront of your decisions? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment