Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Parents just don't understand

On days of high stress at my office, my coworkers and I will message one another with phrases we've picked up from the younger members of our team:
This meeting: I can't even.
OR
I literally can't with this person right now.
OR
I have lost my ability to even right now...please leave a message at the beep.

While this makes us lol and breaks the tension, we recognize that we are making no sense. And that is kind of the point.

Somewhere along the line of parenthood, when my son turns older and I have trouble understanding his language or cadence of speech, will someone please kindly remind me that I am not supposed to understand what my teenager is saying? I think that as we get older we forget how we drove our own parents crazy with our mannerisms (Sorry, Mom!) but that was because we didn't want our parents to understand us. And, once our parents started to use our terminology with us, how it instantly became uncool.

And thus, the circle of language will continue...or whatever the kids are calling it these days.

What phrase does your teen use that you cannot stand? Leave the offender in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment