Friday, April 10, 2015

You're a mom forever

On Sunday morning, my son greeted me by saying, "Good morning! I get my allowance today, right?" After his morning routine, I handed him his cash for the week and he went to distribute it into his three jars. He then starting telling me what he was going to use his spend money on (a Batman action figure of some kind) and what he was going to use his save money on (a different Batman action figure of some kind).
I was just happy that he understood the difference between the two jars and that it has only taken him a few weeks to learn the importance of saving money.

I love being a Mom - it is a job I plan on having forever. And even though I love my career, I know that someday I will want to retire. And according to some figures, women are going to need a bigger save jar.

It turns out that woman are not saving as much as they should for their retirement. And since the reasons women aren't saving run the gamut from not earning as much as men for the same work, to taking more time off to take care of their families, it's time for all women to get a better hold of their finances.

Books, classes, websites, financial planners...the tools are all out there. It's just a matter of finding the time to leverage them.

A heavy topic right before we head into the weekend, I know, but maybe we all need to take a day off - from both the 9-to-5 job and the 24-7 job - and get our financial health in order.

It took me a long time to be even a little financially savvy and I admit I could use some more help. How about you? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment