Monday, March 30, 2015

All tech is not created equal

When I asked my son what he wanted to save up his allowance for, he told me he wanted to buy a tablet. When I asked him why, he listed all the games he could play on it that he couldn't play on his LeapPad.

I was impressed.

Had we waited until he was older, maybe we would have taken his tech preference into consideration when buying him his first technology. At least, that is what a recent study by PlayScience reveals

The PlayScience Parents and Platform Perceptions study has found that parents have an unconscious gender bias toward technology use and their children. With sons, parents often take their preferences into consideration, but with daughters, parents take online safety and protection more into consideration. This translates to more boys receiving smartphones or video game devices, and girls getting a kid's tablet.

The study also indicates that tablets are the clear winner overall, as both parents and children prefer their use over any other type of tech device. Smartphones lagged to the bottom of the list, which makes me wonder if our children think we are foolish for spending so much of our free time using them.

I guess my son had better start saving his money. I haven't told him how much tablets costs yet and we'll see how badly he wants one.

What technology do your children prefer using? Share with me in the comments.

http://storiesforgrownups.com/my-story-once-upon-a-midnight-summer/

No comments:

Post a Comment