Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Keep up the good work, moms and dads!

My husband and I played tag this weekend with our son and niece. Playing tag as an adult is completely different than how you remember it. For starters, a big chunk of the fun is watching children react when they realize you are chasing them: They fall down in fits of giggles, try to direct you to tag someone else and even run toward you just to become "it" next. I also learned that my husband still tries to chase after me, which after more than 16 years together, is a really nice surprise.

Amid all this running around, I did get a chance to read some good news: It appears that parents in the U.S. have taken the statistics and warnings about childhood obesity to heart. The government has released its latest study on obesity rate among 2- to 5-year-old children over the past decade, and it turns out there was a 43% drop!

Nice work, moms and dads!

Yes, we still have some work to do, but I think we should celebrate our victories when we come across them. I know that in our household, we are having more conversations about food and exercise. My son is starting to pick up on these conversations, and although we are making only little steps, there are definitely steps in the right direction.

By the way: Tag! You're it!

No comments:

Post a Comment