Wednesday, November 13, 2013

An instrumental way to improve your child's hearing...eventually

Image by tracky_birthday
As any mother of a three-year-old knows, you spend a lot of your time asking your child, "Are you listening to me?" (The answer, by the way, is almost always 'no.' Children have much better things going on than listening to their mother.) One way to improve your child's hearing may be to give them music lessons.

Yup. Researchers at Northwestern University have found that people who took music lessons in their early years actually have better hearing capabilities throughout their lives. That is pretty cool.

(So, I guess at this point I should say thank you, Mom, for all those piano lessons with Sister Statler. She was a lovely - albeit ancient - nun and totally worth your investment. Also, I should say that I'm sorry, Mom, that I didn't keep up with it.)

But what does this mean for parents? Does this mean that your three- or four-year old will suddenly start paying attention when you start talking? Ha, ha, no. (Seriously, did you think that for even a second? You are so funny with your hope and your optimism!) But what it does mean is that in addition to all the other amazing things learning an instrument can bring your child (help with math, patience, dedication), you can also add better hearing to the list.

What instrument did you learn to play as a child? What instrument do you wish you played now?

P.S. I am terribly sorry about the awful pun in the title. I couldn't help myself; I was weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment