Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Keeping a room ready for the kids

When I was a teen, my Mom told me that my job was to be a good student. And I was. So, while I had a few jobs during college, none of them were the full-time variety that would help pay the bills after college. My Mom and StepDad welcomed me back home after I graduated for the two months it took me to land my first real job. And I am forever grateful for their support (just as I am sure that they are grateful I was only living with them for a short period of time).

When I returned to their home I didn't realize I was part of a much larger trend - so large that they gave us a name: Boomerang kids. Very clever.

Nowadays Boomerang kids are more popular than ever as they try to save money while paying down massive student debts. This uptick in popularity means that most students are simply expecting that they will have to return home at some point and they are planning for it. Their parents are planning for it, too.


I tease my son about what we will be turning his room into when he eventually moves out. A craft room? A trampoline room? A room for the extra cats we will need to adopt to fill our home with cuteness once he is gone? But, in all likelihood, I may need to just keep that room ready for him in case he needs it again.

Did you ever have to move back in with your parents after moving out? Tell me about it in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment