Monday, May 27, 2019

When we read together

My son is long past the age that he needs me to read to him. He prefers reading on the couch next to me, or reading a book that I've read already so that we can discuss it at length later. He doesn't want me to read to him anymore - it just slows the story down.

There is one exception to this rule: We read the Harry Potter books together. He loves the series and the rule is that we read the books together the first time. I want to make sure he understands the bigger words that are being used as the series moves on and give him a chance to ask questions about the subject matter. (We are currently on The Goblet of Fire.)

When he was a toddler, he couldn't wait to read with me at night. He would grab several books (usually more than we could possibly finish in one session) and make room for me on his bed. Once snuggled up, we would read.

I looked forward to that time with him every night, but I didn't realize that our ritual made me a better parent. Reading together made me more patient with him and made him more easygoing with me.

I wonder if anyone will do a study on the benefits of reading next to each other.

In the meantime, I will keep us reading together for as long as I can and hope that he thinks of this time together as fondly as I do.

What was your favorite book to read to your child? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment